Jul 2, 2019 by Stephanie Howe - Owner, Comfort Keepers
For families who live away from their senior loved one, in-home care providers offer regular updates to families about the senior’s well-being — and with that, assurance that the senior is receiving the best care.
In addition to peace of mind, home health care can deliver a wide range of services, working with seniors and their families to create care plans that meet their specific care needs. These individual care plans allow seniors the opportunity to age in place, safely and securely. In-home care services provide support to help preserve seniors' dignity and independence, as well.
Senior Home Care
Below is a listing of typical health services and senior care options. There may not be an immediate need for all of these services now, but the great thing about in-home care is that it offers plenty of care solutions that can be added or modified to the seniors' unique needs — all in the comfort of home.
Companionship & Care Services:
- Conversation and companionship: provide seniors social contact at mealtime or other moments of the day to enhance health, happiness, and quality of life
- Meal preparation: help seniors maintain good nutrition for healthier living
- Light housekeeping: vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms and kitchens, taking out the trash, straightening rooms, organizing closets and drawers, cleaning interior windows that can be reached without a ladder
- Errand services: picking up prescriptions and going to the post office
- Grocery shopping: either with or without the client
- Respite care: relieve family members who are assisting with the care of their loved ones — this allows time to run errands, go shopping or get much-needed rest
- Medication reminders: in-home caregivers cannot administer medications, but can remind the client to take medications and assist in opening medication containers and reading labels
- Grooming and dressing guidance: buttoning clothing, tying shoes and putting on socks
- Incidental transportation: doctor appointments, barbershops, beauty salons, shopping, wherever the client likes or needs to go
- Laundry services: washing, drying, ironing and putting things away
- Recreational activities: card and board games, a walk in the park, crafts, hobbies, and outings to church and other favorite places to help seniors stay active in mind, body, and spirit
- Mail assistance and organization: separate junk mail from important mail and let seniors know when bills are due
- Periodic review and communication with family members: provide updates on their loved one, answer any concerns or redefine services that may be needed
- In-home safety devices: monitor seniors’ safety when they are home alone and enable them to quickly summon help with the push of a button in an emergency
Personal Care Services for Personal Hygiene:
- Bathing: help seniors maintain proper hygiene and refresh their sense of well-being
- Mobility assistance: promote activity and exercise for a more healthful lifestyle as well as improved mood, decreased stress and increased mental alertness
- Transferring and positioning seniors: help maintain functional activity; relieve pressure areas on the skin; reduce atrophy and stiffening of muscles; and promote proper breathing, digestion, and elimination
- Toileting and incontinence: sensitively help seniors maintain dignity as they manage with a loss of independence
- Oral hygiene: prevent bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease, plus assist in the prevention of other diseases
- Feeding and special diet and meal preparation: make certain seniors get the proper nutrition to maintain good health and control medical conditions
Care professionals can offer specialized assistance, as well. This includes hospice care, respite care for family caregivers, live-in care, long-term care, dementia care, as well as quality care for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.
The needs of your elderly loved one are important and we would love to help you provide a better quality of life for your family member.
Comfort Keepers of Monroe Can Help
Our care team provides a variety of care options to help older adults remain in the comfort of their own home instead of having to move to a care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living. Our home health aides provide a range of care assistance to help with activities of daily living and daily tasks while also giving family members peace of mind.
In addition, our home care providers undergo background checks to ensure that we are providing the best possible elder care.
If you have any questions concerning Comfort Keepers of Monroe in-home care services or any of the other services we offer, be sure to contact us or visit our site to read testimonials of our home care agency from clients.